Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Chef of All Trades


My mother says that I began cooking when I was 18 months old. That being said, I can honestly say that I have made quite a vast array of dishes over the past 20-something years. Little did I know that when I married a hunter my cooking skills would be taken to a totally different level.


Since marrying Bryan, I have processed deer, filleted fish and breasted ducks. The all-time worst was when I had a pressure cooker explode in my kitchen full of squirrels.


I have put my foot down when it comes to rabbits. (Insert thoughts of one of my favorite childhood books, The Tale of Peter Rabbit.)


To spare you the details of my Saturday night rabbit hunt, I will say that it was a success lovely time with flashlights and .22s. (Honestly, I sat in the truck the whole time as my dad and Bryan pranced around like fools.) My head hit the pillow after midnight, with my dear hubby not crawling in beside me until after the end of their second round at 1:30 am.


Yesterday I did the thing I swore I would never do...I cooked rabbit. Oh yes, gasp and sputter and gag if you like because I did. For the record, it turned out quite nicely and only some pieces were slightly chewy. This has been added to my resume. ;)


If you really want the recipe I will share it. I think that it would be fantastic with beef since it has red wine and onions. Happy Monday!

6 comments:

  1. ok yes I totally want the recipe. It looks worth making! :-)

    xoxo
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. I am proud of you but I don't think I could do it!! Luckily my boy likes to fish not hunt, so doubt I'll need to! It does look yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend is a huge hunter as well! I like most of the game we cook, but some of it is a little weird for my taste! Last weekend we made a DELICIOUS venison barbecue recipe in the crockpot--let me know if you'd like to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a better wife than I am because I have yet to learn how to cook game. My husband hunts deer, duck, and turkey mostly and I let him do all of the processing and cooking of that stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you are a hunters wife. My man is not shy w a gun either but thankfully he prefers to fish. I have yet to try rabbit but heard it's good. Oh and I'm impressed w your vast ability to handle wild game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I don't know how you do it! But bless you for doing it! I bet there's always story after each hunting adventure!! :)

    ReplyDelete