Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Food For Thought

Today is that (sometimes dreaded) day that many people choose to give up something for Lent. I am not one to ramble on about things on my blog, as I much prefer pretty pictures and sharing recipes, but this subject has been on my mind and I thought I would test the waters. Agree or disagree, I would love to know your own thoughts on the matter.

Beginning on Ash Wednesday, Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter in which Christians are to prepare themselves for the celebration of Jesus's resurrection, and in turn be a sacrifice to Jesus. Jesus spent 40 days in the desert resisting temptation from Satan, and this is where Christians get the reference to give up something of temptation in their own lives for 40 days. Growing up in a denomination where Lent was not openly practiced, I was not familiar with it or the significance. The key word here is significance. I am blown away at the casualness when making reference to what is being given up for Lent--chocolate, shopping, texting. Right, we are supposed to think about the sacrifice that Jesus made by dying on the cross, and by abstaining from something we enjoy for 40 days so as to remember him. But does that really happen? I am going to guess that more often times than not, the answer is no. As Christians aren't we supposed to continuously remember the unconditional love and sacrifice that was made so that took place so we can have eternal life in Heaven someday? Yes!

Today I had the cross formed from ashes placed on my forehead. For me personally, this year during all of the Lent talk I have found myself pondering deeply as to what it means to me and what I am going to do during this special Holy time. It is not necessarily what I do or don't give up, or that I would even give it up to remember Jesus 10 times more than normal a day, but it has been a great reminder to me of how I am to live my live to glorify Him and make adjustments accordingly. It is a matter of the heart, between yourself and God.

(Sorry if there are lots of run-ons and lots of rambling that doesn't make sense. Just putting down my thoughts since I have been thinking.)

XOXO,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in an Episcopalian household, going to a private Christian school so I can remember giving up things every year. As I got older I still abstained from things but put more focus on what I was going to add to my everyday life to bring me closer to Christ. This Lent I'm spending my Tuesday afternoons stocking a soup kitchen in town. I think its great so far!

    ReplyDelete